Translate

Sunday, March 17, 2013

How my father and grandfather got out of Hungary.

Had lunch today with my father. And learned about how my Grandfather out of Hungary which he got out during the few weeks the borders were open in 1956 and was able to bribe the government to get the rest of the family out. He was put in prison for horror or horror's running a business but that ended up being a good thing as he was close to the border and able to get out and then got the rest of the family out and was temporarily in Austria where he was able to make money to bribe the government to get the rest of the family out. 

This came about when I showed my father the e-book I have ten year in the North Korea Gulag The A1quariums of Pyongyang. And how this guy got out as he had to bribe officials and do it with gifts at certain intervals as in communist countries they are more prone to take bribes. And my Grandfather had to bribe the government to get the rest of his family out. Although his brother remained in Hungary and had almost no family other then one daughter who ended up committing suicide. My Great Uncle who was my Great Grandparents first born. 

1 comment:

fschmidt said...

A quarter of the Hungarian population left the same way during those few weeks, including my parents.