Translate

Friday, January 29, 2010

Parsha Bo: The Plague of the Killing of the first born.

Third portion of Exodus Chapter 10 - Chapter 13 Verse 16.


I myself am a first born and my parents did have the coin they redeemed when I was 30 days old. At least they tell me that. Anyway I did have a question. In Exodus 13:14 it does mention you should redeem any first born male. It is sad that I have no where to go for some passovers (I haven't had Passover with my parents for 15 years and they always go away when I can't because of tax season) even though this is a main part of the holiday that G-d saved people like me.


This is as a sign that G-d saved Jewish first born while killing the Egyptian first born. My only question in general it doesn't mention the gender of the first born until this passage. And it says that G-d killed all first borns. It does use the male noun but I would think this could be just the generic form of male and not the specific male gender although my hebrew knowledge is OK but I'm not an expert on grammer or it was specifically male as otherwise why only redeem first born males.

It would make sense that G-d killed the first born males in that Pharoh tried to kill all boys to be born although let the girls live and it also may very well be that the men were treated harsher then the women for similar reasons. So is it just the first born males that G-d smote of the Egyptians or all first borns. It seems to be it was only male first born (and that is what I was taught) but if anyway knows anything different let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.