Translate

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Internal vs. External Motivation.

I thought I would share something from my childhood. I remember when I was a kid when I was in 6th grade that I had a Rabbi that the person that prayed during morning prayers got stickers and the one with the most won a prize. The thing was though you only prayed hard not because you felt like reaching out to g-d but only for the external reward. The issue was though after that year you didn’t take prayer that seriously. I remember when I was school and they had prayer’s for 5th-8th grade boys and the only group that prayed loudly or was the 6th graders. It had very little long term impact however.So I guess doing something mostly for an external reward without really understanding what you are doing has no long term effect on your behavior. That is what this shows at least from what can I see. Would anyone care to comment on this? Agree? Disagree?

No comments: